Peniscola, often called the Gibraltar of Valencia, and locally as The City in the Sea, is a fortified seaport, with a lighthouse, built on a rocky headland about 220 feet (67 m) high. The present castle was built by the Knights Templar between 1294 and 1307. The oldest archaeological vestiges of Peniscola have been found at Santa Maria square with remains of Roman and Arab walls. The square and its surrounding walls are an area of special importance in the history of Peñíscola.
ALTERNATIVE LOCATION NAME
Plaza de Santa María