The London hall is the headquarters of the United Grand Lodge of England and the Supreme Grand Chapter of Royal Arch Masons of England. It been a Masonic meeting place since 1775.
The current building was opened in 1933. It was built between 1927 and 1933 in the art deco style to the designs of architects Henry Victor Ashley and F. Winton NewmanIt. It was created as a peace memorial to honour the thousands of Freemasons who fought during the First World War.
Freemasons are member of a special order. It is believed to have its roots in medieval trade guilds. The United Grand Lodge of England can be traced back to the beginning of the 18th century. But Freemasons can be found all over the world.
Parts of the building are open to the public daily.